As the popularity of two-wheelers rises, Indian roads are getting more and more crowded these days. While a two-wheeler can help you deal with daily routines and small distance trips, it can also make you susceptible to accidents and injuries on the road. This is why you must take proper precautions to protect yourself and your two-wheeler.
Among the different options available, getting a bike insurance policy for your bike is one of the best ways to protect your vehicle. With a suitable insurance plan for your bike, you will get financial protection for dealing with accidents or damage repair costs. You will also get financial coverage for the injuries that you may have sustained. Along with this, you will also get financial cover for third-party liabilities. Two-wheeler insurance plans are optimal options for ensuring your prized possession is protected. However, the coverage you get will depend on several factors.
Factors That Impact Your Bike Insurance Cover
- Bike model: There are several types of two-wheelers available in the market. Every bike is uniquely designed and has its features. Therefore, the insurance cover for the policy will depend on the model you have chosen and its Insured Declared Value (IDV). For instance, if you have purchased a high-end bike, the insurance cover for the two-wheeler must be high as the repair costs for the vehicle can be quite costly.
- Manufacturer: The brand or manufacturer of the bike can have a high impact on the cover. For example, if you opt for a bike from a well-known company, you are also paying for the various features like the aesthetics, technology, etc., that come with bikes. All of these factors increase the two-wheeler’s value and directly affect the 2-wheeler insurance coverage. On the other hand, if you select a simple two-wheeler without many features, a basic insurance cover would suffice for the bike’s coverage.
- Engine capacity: The engine is the two-wheeler’s heart. You must look after it to ensure your bike stays functional for a long time. When purchasing insurance for the bike, one of the important factors you should worry about is the engine’s cubic capacity. The bike with a high cc engine will cost more in the market. Therefore, you must get the appropriate 2-wheeler insurance cover for the bike.
- Add-ons: Add-ons are additions that you can include in your two-wheeler insurance policy. With an add-on in the insurance plan for your bike, you get to improve your bike insurance plan’s coverage. Add-ons help you get coverage for specific situations. A wide range of add-ons is available like zero-depreciation, roadside assistance, consumables cover, engine protection, etc. However, you must select the add-ons for your insurance policy carefully as they come at a cost. Including several add-ons in the plan can lead to a hike in the premium amount.
- Policy type: There are three variants of insurance plans offered in the country- third-party plan, own damage cover, and comprehensive bike insurance. A third-party insurance plan will only provide coverage to third parties damaged or injured by your vehicle. However, the third-party coverage is not extended for your vehicle’s damages. Own damage cover will offer coverage for damages caused to your vehicle. Comprehensive two-wheeler insurance will offer you coverage for both, third-parties and your vehicle’s damages. Opting for a comprehensive cover will help you protect your vehicle and third parties simultaneously.
These factors will impact your two-wheeler insurance policy coverage. Therefore, it is important to consider these factors while purchasing the plan. You can also consider a few tips while purchasing two-wheeler insurance.
Tips For Purchasing Bike Insurance
Following these tips will help you buy a suitable insurance plan for yourself:
- Select a suitable insurer: There are numerous insurers in the market. Therefore, you must select a suitable insurer for your bike insurance coverage. To select a suitable insurer, you must consider certain factors like the claim settlement ratio, customer support, features offered, etc.
- Provide the correct IDV: The Insured Declared Value is the market value of your vehicle. The IDV is the amount that you will get if your vehicle is damaged beyond repair or if it’s stolen. When you provide the correct IDV, you will get the correct amount of coverage you need.
- Purchase motorcycle insurance online: Buying the insurance policy for your bike online can be quite beneficial for you. With the purchase of 2-wheeler insurance online, you can get discounts and offers on the policy purchase. Along with this, most insurers like Tata AIG offer bike insurance calculators on their websites. Therefore, you can calculate the premium before finalizing the purchase. You can also carry out the policy renewal through your insurer’s website.
- Read the policy document: You must go through the insurance policy document carefully before making the purchase. Reading the policy document will help you discover any errors that you may have missed. Along with this, you will also learn about the policy’s exclusions and inclusions.
Bike insurance plans are excellent ways to ensure your two-wheeler is protected in case there of accidents. However, you must be mindful while purchasing an insurance plan as certain factors impact the coverage you get. Learning about these factors will help you plan your purchase. Along with this, you can also follow a few tips to purchase a suitable two-wheeler insurance policy.